- Optimizing processes in HTS and Data Profiling
- Developing a streamlined solution for data quality assurance that automates computation and visualization tasks on large data sets
HTS Data Management System Helps Speed Decision-Making in Drug Discovery
High Throughput Screening (HTS) is an automated process in drug discovery that enables scientists to quickly assay the biochemical or biological activity of drug-like compounds. Seeking to optimize its HTS processes, the client, a multinational pharmaceutical company, asked EPAM to develop a solution for data quality assurance that automates computation and visualization on large data sets.
In response, EPAM created an HTS Data Management System comprised of scalable technologies. The system can define and configure assays, produce plate readout visualizations, and calculate methods for primary HTS data processing. The solution enabled the client to increase data quality assurance and make quick and informed decisions in drug discovery to create efficiencies for the business.
After launching in late 2007, the HTS Data Management System implemented by EPAM went on to win an award for innovation within the client’s organization. As a modular, flexible solution that allows organizations to make more informed decisions as a result of increased data quality assurance in drug discovery, the application is currently used in the following capacities by the client:
- Number of users: about 800 worldwide
- Number of geographical sites: 4 (U.S., Europe, Asia)
- Number of concurrent users: about 50
- Number of servers: 2 (1 in Europe, 1 in U.S.)
- Database size: over 1 TB per server
Today, EPAM continues to improve the system’s functionality in close cooperation with the client’s project team.