- Observing changes in tiny rodent blood vessel parameters, how the vessels change in the treated group compared to the control group and whether there is an effect when administering the tested drug over a long period of time
- Eliminating manual work and ensure the integrity of mice artery walls identification
- Developing an algorithm that performs the automatic segmentation of vascular bed images with pinpoint accuracy
- Finding a solution that would determine the external and internal boundaries of artery walls, allowing scientists and doctors to analyze segments realms of ultrasound images
EPAM's Ultrasound Imaging Tool Augments Pre-Clinical Accuracy & Efficiency
To aid in its research on the development of peripheral vascular diseases like atherosclerosis, the client was looking to create a new, innovative tool that optimizes experimental processes for examining rodents in the pre-clinical stage of drug development.
Based on client specs and independent research, EPAM created a dynamic Ultrasound Image Segmentation Tool that enabled doctors and biologists to analyze segmented realms of ultrasound images, eliminating manual work and ensuring the integrity of mice artery walls identification. EPAM’s solution helped scientists and clinicians at the healthcare company understand how drugs work within vessels, increase ease and accuracy in pinpointing problems areas and improve data collection and storage capabilities to help recognize health trends.
With the creation and implementation of EPAM’s interactive Ultrasound Image Segmentation Tool, the client and its partners were able to conduct a large number of experiments that would not have been possible manually. For scientists and clinicians, the tool’s implementation results in the following advantages:
- More ease and accuracy in pinpointing problem areas, such as cholesterol buildup, within arteries and other vessels
- A better understanding of how drugs activate and work within vessels
- Improved data collection and storage capabilities to help recognize health trends related to state and appearance of vessels
On a grander scale, the novel technology developed for the Ultrasound Image Segmentation Tool paves the way for further advancement in pre-clinical drug development.